There are sanctions applied to overdue items to ensure fair and equitable sharing of limited library resources amongst our users.
What happens when library users have overdue items?
- Cannot borrow books or renew items
- Cannot place a hold on library items
- Will have sanctions placed on your account
What are the sanctions and demerit points?
- Books/Periodicals - 50 demerit points per day
- DVDs /laptops- 100 demerit points per day
- Overdue items can accrue demerit points up to 2000, which is when they are considered lost (see below)
Important to know:
- Once 1000 or more demerit points are accrued, your borrowing privileges will be blocked
- Items can be returned in the external return chute next to the After-Hours Area entrance
- Once the overdue items are returned, the points will be removed and borrowing privileges reinstated.
- It is the user’s responsibility to return borrowed items by the due date.